Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | American cuisine | Southern cuisine | Corn
Creamed corn is a side dish from the American South. This modern recipe is quicker and easier than the traditional one.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 can (15.25 oz / 432 g) whole kernel sweet corn, drained (reserve the liquid)
- ½ red bell pepper (or other suitable red vegetable), diced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Drain the can of corn, reserving the liquid.
- Put half of the corn into a bowl and purée it with a wand blender, adding some liquid from the can if necessary to keep it from getting too dry.
- Pour puréed corn into a saucepan and add remaining whole corn kernels.
- Add the diced bell pepper, butter, and cream, then heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. You can add more cream or milk if it's not creamy enough.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- You can replace the diced red bell pepper with diced pimentos or sun-dried tomatoes if you like, or with diced jalapeños if you want it spicy.