Sachertorte from Hotel Sacher, Vienna
|Time||Prep: 30 minutes|
Baking: 45 minutes
Sachertorte (Ger. ˈzɑxər ˈtɔrtə; Eng.ˈsɑkər ˈtɔrt) is a chocolate cake, invented by Franz Sacher in 1832 for Klemens Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. It is one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties.
The cake consists of two layers of dense, not overly sweet chocolate dough with a thin layer of apricot jam in the middle and dark chocolate icing with shreds of chocolate on the top and sides. This is traditionally eaten with whipped cream, as most Viennese consider the Sachertorte too "dry" to be eaten without.
The trademark for the "Original Sachertorte" was registered by the Hotel Sacher, which was built in 1876 by the son of Franz Sacher. The original recipe is a well-kept secret.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 6 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (120 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) confectioner's sugar
- 9 tbsp (135 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (4 ml) vanilla extract
- 4 ½ oz (130 g) dark chocolate
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Butter a 9 in (22 cm) pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C or Gas Mark 3).
- Melt chocolate in microwave, remove, and let cool, while stirring often.
- Beat butter in mixer, then, on low, add confectioners sugar. Return to high, beat for 2 more minutes, beat in egg yolks one at a time, then add chocolate and vanilla.
- Whisk egg whites and granulated sugar together in a bowl. Stir 1 quarter of it into the chocolate mix, then fold in the rest.
- Sift half the flour into mixture, fold in, and repeat with remaining flour.
- Spread evenly in pan, then bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Glaze and frost cake to your liking.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- The Original Sacher Torte
- Sachertorte (Duramecho version)
- Glaze the cake with ½ cup (120 ml) apricot jam, either on the top or between two layers of cake (split the cake in two with a long knife)
- Sample frosting: Melt 9 oz (260 g) dark chocolate with 2 oz (60 g) butter at low heat and let it cool off a bit. With a spatula, spread over the cake.