Cookbook:Rice with Milk (Arroz con Leche)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Arroz con leche is a sweet dish of creamed rice.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
For 4–6 servings:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 2 cups of water
- 7 cups of milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups of sugar or fruit syrup
- ½ tsp of salt
- Outer peel of 1 lemon (remove white pith)
- Cinnamon powder
- Mint leaves (optional, for garnish)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Put the rice in a strainer and rinse it until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a pot with the water, and boil it for 7 minutes until the rice softens and the water is almost completely absorbed.
- Add the milk, the sticks of cinnamon, and the lemon peel. Boil on a moderate heat for 10 minutes. Take the cinnamon sticks and the lemon peel out, and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes until the rice is softer, stirring often with a wood spoon.
- Add the sugar, and cook for another 30 minutes; then add the salt, and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Take the rice mixture off the heat and place it in a deep glass dish, sprinkle with cinnamon powder, and refrigerate.