From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Time||Prep: 45 minutes (including crust)
Baking: 1 hour
- 1 recipe Flaky Pie Crust
- 5 cups (1100g) of rhubarb stalks (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 & 1/2 cups (360ml) of sugar
- 1/4 cup of (60ml) cornstarch or tapioca pearls
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Prepare the flaky pie crust and refrigerate while preparing the rhubarb.
- Clean and trim the rhubarb stalks.
- Cut the stalks into 1/2 inch to 1 inch (1.25 to 2.5cm) sections.
- Add sugar, cornstarch or tapioca, and salt.
- Stir until rhubarb is evenly coated with dry ingredients.
Forming and cooking the pie
- Follow the instructions in the flaky pie crust recipe.
Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Notes, tips and variations
- If cornstarch is used as the thickener, the pie requires a longer cooling time before the filling is gelled.
- Another variation is to use a whole egg in the mix.
- This cookbook also has a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie.