Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Time||Prep: 45 minutes (including crust)|
Baking: 1 hour
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 recipe Flaky Pie Crust
- 5 cups (40 oz or 2 ½ lb or 1100 g) of rhubarb stalks
- 1 & ½ cups (12 oz or 340 g) of sugar
- ¼ cup (2 oz or 60 g) of cornstarch or tapioca pearls
- ½ tsp of salt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Crust[edit | edit source]
- Prepare the flaky pie crust and refrigerate while preparing the rhubarb.
Filling[edit | edit source]
- Clean and trim the rhubarb stalks.
- Cut the stalks into ½ inch to 1 inch (1.25 to 2.5cm) sections.
- Add sugar, cornstarch or tapioca, and salt.
- Stir until rhubarb is evenly coated with dry ingredients.
Forming and cooking the pie[edit | edit source]
- Follow the instructions in the flaky pie crust recipe.
Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
- If cornstarch is used as the thickener, the pie requires a longer cooling time before the filling is gelled.
- Another variation is to use a whole egg in the mix.
- This cookbook also has a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie.