Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Time||Prep: 45 minutes (including crust)|
Baking: 1 hour
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 recipe Flaky Pie Crust
- 5 cups (40 oz / 2 ½ lb / 1100 g) rhubarb stalks
- 1 ½ cups (12 oz / 340 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (2 oz / 60 g) cornstarch or tapioca pearls
- ½ tsp salt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Crust[edit | edit source]
- Prepare the flaky pie crust and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
Filling[edit | edit source]
- Clean and trim the rhubarb stalks.
- Cut the stalks into ½–1 inch (1.25–2.5 cm) sections.
- Add sugar, cornstarch or tapioca, and salt.
- Stir until rhubarb is evenly coated with dry ingredients.
Forming and cooking the pie[edit | edit source]
- Follow the instructions in the flaky pie crust recipe.
- Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 °F (175 °C), and continue baking for 40–45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
- If cornstarch is used as the thickener, the pie requires a longer cooling time before the filling gels.
- Try using a whole egg in the filling.
- This cookbook also has a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cleaned rhubarb stalks
Filling for two pies
Dry ingredients for filling
Mixed fruit and dry ingredients for pie filling