Cookbook:Pumpkin Bread III
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pumpkin Bread III|
|Time||1 hour total|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Cooking spray
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat sugar and oil using electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs and pumpkin and beat lightly.
- Add flour, then baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and nuts if desired.
- Mix well.
- Pour into two baking pans sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean from the center, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Tips, Notes, and Variations[edit | edit source]
- Chopped walnuts, are particularly good in this bread, but your favorite nuts will do.
- If cooking in a Dutch oven, preheat with about 14 charcoal briquettes, with about 10 or 11 on top and 3 or 4 on the bottom. If you're cooking outdoors, you'll have to use a hand mixer or a strong arm with the spoon.
- If your bread sticks to the greased pan, try coating the greased pan with a thin layer of flour.
- If you want to use fresh cooked pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin, follow these directions:
- Cut the a small cooking/pie pumpkin into small section (that will fit into the pot you will use to cook them)
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot (enough water so the none of the pumpkin slices will be sitting on the bottom of the pot)
- Add pumpkin slices to the boiling water, cook approx. 15 minutes or until pumpkin is soft
- Remove pumpkin slices from water
- Using a knife or spoon, peel/cut away the skin
- The pumpkin can be used right away for cooking, or can be refrigerated/frozen until needed