Jump to navigation Jump to search
The origins of Potato Salad can be traced to Germany before the turn of the 17th century, where it first became popular to use vinegar and spices on potatoes as a side dish. The salad has a bite to it and is served warm as often as not.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 pounds (~1kg) of potatoes
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup (120g) finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup (60g) flour
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of vinegar
- 1 cup (240ml) of water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cook bacon strips, cut into small pieces and set aside for later.
- Boil potatoes for 5-10 minutes or until softened; cut into small chunks or thick slices.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and let them come to room temperature.
- In a bowl combine flour, celery seed, parsley, chopped onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour the water and vinegar into a pot, stir in sugar and bring to a boil. Add the dry mixture and stir until thickened.
- In the original bowl place potatoes and bacon, pour on thickened mixture.
- Break apart eggs and stir lightly into the bowl to combine.
- Place in large serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika.
Notes and tips[edit | edit source]
- Potatoes may be boiled whole in skins, cooled, and carefully peeled to leave the thin, yellow protein layer intact for improved nutritional value and flavour. Slice at room temperature or chilled.
- Chopping the potatoes into small pieces allow more surface to be coated and improves the flavour.
- Omit salt and use a chicken-flavoured bouillon cube instead. Add chopped onion to bouillon and simmer for a few minutes to blend flavours.
- Salad can be served chilled or warm to preference.
Variations[edit | edit source]
- American Potato Salad, with a Southern Ontario variation.
- Ensalada Rusa, a Uruguayan potato salad containing peas and carrots.
- German Potato Salad, a warm salad containing bacon.
- Grammy's Potato Salad, a New England style recipe.
- Potato Salad (American), another American-style recipe made with mustard and sweet relish.