Jump to navigation Jump to search
Prep Time: 1 day, 1 hour
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
For 3 pints:
- ¼ cup salt
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 pound (about ½ kg) herring fillets
- 2 cups distilled or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 lemon (thinly sliced, with rind removed; only the flesh should be left)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat 4 cups of water enough to dissolve salt. Let cool to room temperature.
- Submerge the herring fillets in the brine and refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, bring the sugar, vinegar, the remaining cup of water and all the spices to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let this steep until cool.
- When the herring have brined, layer them in a glass jar with the sliced lemon and red onion. Divide the spices between your containers if you are using more than one.
- Pour over the cooled pickling liquid and seal the jars. Wait at least a day before eating. Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.