Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | United States | Holiday Recipes | Bread | Desserts
This recipe for orange bread, originally called "Grandma-Ag's orange bread" by the recipe contributor, makes a quickbread flavored with orange peel. From the original contributor:
"This bread is a fond memory of my childhood, visiting Agnes Frances Primm, my Grandma-Ag. As a young adult, I tried to duplicate the recipe, and unable, I went back and begged her for the secrets of it. When I asked her how long it had taken to develop the tricky recipe, she flattened my ego by telling me she'd gotten it out of a magazine years before! I like to make it for Christmas."
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Ingredient Volumetric Grams Baker's %
List 1[edit | edit source]
Orange peel 1 cup (6 ea.) 125 35.7% White sugar ½ cup 110 31.4%
List 2[edit | edit source]
Beaten egg 1 60 17.1% White sugar 1 cup 225 64.3% Melted butter or margarine 3 tablespoons 45 12.9% Baking powder 3½ teaspoons 14 4.0% White all-purpose flour 2½ cups 350 100% Milk 1¼ cups 310 88.6% Salt ½ teaspoon 3 0.9% Formula 1242 354.9%
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cover grated orange peel with water and boil 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse, discarding water.
- Barely cover with cold water, about ¼ cup.
- Add ½ cup sugar and cook until peel is tender and water is cooked away; cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (~175°C).
- Mix thoroughly all items under List 2.
- Add cooled peel to this mixture and
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted in the loaf.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Good warm and plain, or toasted and buttered.