Cookbook:North Carolina Style BBQ Chicken
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
In Eastern N.C., they use thin, vinegar based sauces called mops unlike what most Americans think of barbecue sauces as thick, rich, and tomato based.
- 3 each skinless bone-in thighs and drumsticks
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Barbecue rub
- 1 cup soaked hickory chips
- Season chicken liberally with Rub. Gently massage into meat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients.
- Place enough charcoal briquets to fill the charcoal compartment of a large chimney starter. Wad up some oil-moistened newspaper, stick under the compartment, and light. Wait 15 minutes.
- Once coals are heated, disperse evenly along the bottom of the grill. Toss in soaked hickory chunks and reapply the grate.
- Grill chicken over medium low, turning often and brushing with vinegar mixture when turned, until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove and let rest for 7 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, boil remaining vinegar mixture on high for 5 minutes. Drizzle over chicken and serve chicken warm.