Cookbook:North Carolina Style BBQ Chicken
In Eastern N.C., they use thin, vinegar based sauces called mops unlike what most Americans think of barbecue sauces as thick, rich, and tomato based.
- 3 each skinless bone-in thighs and drumsticks
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Barbecue rub
- 1 cup soaked hickory chips
- Season chicken liberally with Rub. Gently massage into meat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients.
- Place enough charcoal briquets to fill the charcoal compartment of a large chimney starter. Wad up some oil-moistened newspaper, stick under the compartment, and light. Wait 15 minutes.
- Once coals are heated, disperse evenly along the bottom of the grill. Toss in soaked hickory chunks and reapply the grate.
- Grill chicken over medium low, turning often and brushing with vinegar mixture when turned, until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove and let rest for 7 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, boil remaining vinegar mixture on high for 5 minutes. Drizzle over chicken and serve chicken warm.