|Meringues with Roasted Raspberries and Hazelnut Creme Anglaise
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | American cuisine | Vegetarian Cuisine | Holiday Recipes | Dessert
- Heat the oven to 200°F (90ºC).
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or with a hand-held mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add 1 cup sugar in a steady stream; continue whipping until stiff and glossy, about 4 minutes.
- Whip in cinnamon.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip with the meringue.
- Onto a Silpat or oiled piece of parchment paper, pipe the mixture into rounds, starting in the center and moving outward in a spiral to form a 3-inch disk.
- Bake for 2 hours, until crisp but not browned.
- Cool on the Silpat or parchment, then carefully remove the meringues.
- Set aside, uncovered, on a wire rack in a cool, dry place.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Toss raspberries with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and hazelnut oil.
- Mound the berries on a baking sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper and roast them for about 5 minutes, until glistening and very fragrant, but not mushy.
- Remove from the oven.
- Pour ⅓ cup of chilled hazelnut creme anglaise into the middle of a soup plate.
- Place a cooled meringue in the center, then spoon one-fourth of the roasted raspberries on top of each meringue.
- Serve immediately.