Loukoumas is a Greek fried pastry, similar to a doughnut.
- 1.36 kg (48 oz. = 6 cups) flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Soy or corn oil for frying
- 4 teaspoons dry yeast dissolved in half a cup of warm water
- ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, milk, eggs, baking powder, sugar and vanilla.
- Mix the yeast and water together.
- Add the yeast mixture to the other ingredients and stir. The mixture should look like smooth cake batter.
- Cover the bowl and leave it for four hours.
- Place five centimetres of oil in a pot and heat it up.
- With a tablespoon drop the mixture in and roll. Loukoumades should be sphere-shaped, fried and should look golden or brown from all sides.
- After they are fried, remove them and pour honey over them. Use the cinnamon for extra flavour. You can also use sesame seeds for flavour.