Jump to navigation Jump to search
Batter is a term for a variety of coatings put on food before cooking, to give a crispy coating.
Simple egg batter[edit | edit source]
This is a Basque batter, useful to coat fillets of fish. It is easily scaleable - use one egg for each two fillets.
- Preheat a large frying pan and add cooking oil when it is hot
- Separate the egg and reserve the yolk
- Beat the egg white until it is almost forming soft peaks
- Beat the yolk lightly on its own, then fold it into the egg white
- Coat the fish fillets in flour (which can be seasoned) then dip them in the batter
- Fry the fillets in the oil, turning once, until the batter is browned.