Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lemon rice is a speciality of the South Indian coastal state of Tamil Nadu.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame oil (also called til/gingely oil or NaLEnnai)
- 2 tbsp split peas
- 2 tbsp groundnuts (peanuts)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (heengh/perungayum)
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 lemons, squeezed, or 4 tbsp lemon concentrate
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp salt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add groundnuts and split-peas, fry until golden brown.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies (broken into pieces). Wait till the mustard seeds sputter.
- Mix a little salt, turmeric powder and lemon concentrate.
- Let it boil and reduce.
- Remove pan from stove, add to the rice and mix well.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Add a little oil to the raw rice before cooking it. This gives it a better texture.
- Serve with potato chips or pickle
- 1 tsp sesame seeds can be roasted and added for more taste