Cookbook:Jalebi (Fritters in Syrup)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Jalebi (Fritters in Syrup)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Batter[edit | edit source]
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup gram flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups water
- 3 cups of vegetable oil/ghee for deep frying
Syrup[edit | edit source]
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red and yellow food colorings
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Mix up the batter ingredients until smooth.
- Let the batter sit unrefrigerated and uncovered overnight (about 12 hours).
- Mix the sugar, water, and cream of tartar for the syrup.
- Stir the syrup over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Put on high heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Let the syrup cool, and stir in the rosewater. Use food coloring to tint it light orange.
- Put the vegetable oil in a wide wok-like dish, and heat to about 350°F (175°C).
- Put the batter into a pastry bag with about a ¼ inch opening. If it is too dry to squeeze out, mix in a bit of water.
- Squeeze the batter into the oil, making a couple of figure-eight shapes and loops on top of each other. The shape should be about 3 inches on its longest side.
- Fry each jalebi until golden brown. Remove, let the oil drain off, then soak in syrup for a minute.