Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is from an old recipe book of my mother's. There's a little note on the page: "fruitcake - only better." This recipe makes three loaves. It's tricky to get right but it's well worth the time and effort. We usually make it around Christmastime.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup (240ml) pitted dates
- 2 cups (480ml) maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup (120ml) cherry juice
- 1 cup (240ml) butter
- 3 cups (720ml) brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups (830ml) flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) chopped nuts
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Day 1[edit | edit source]
- Cut dates and cherries into small pieces and soak them in 1/2 cup (120ml) of cherry juice overnight.
Day 2[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120c).
- Cream butter, add half of the sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks until thick. Add remaining sugar.
- Combine the two mixtures and beat.
- Sift and measure flour, then add and sift together salt, baking powder, and spices.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to wet mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add in fruit and nuts dredged lightly with flour.
- Bake in lined loaf pans and in slow oven for 3 hours.