Cookbook:Herb Grilled Strip Steaks
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
1 14-ounce strip steak 1 1/4 tsp rosemary, finely chopped 2 tsp thyme, finely chopped 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley Salt and freshly ground black pepper Extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 cup soaked mesquite wood chips 4 1/2 pounds charcoal briquets A few sheets of newspaper 2 tsp vegetable oil
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Brush steak with extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and press in herbs. Bring to room temperature.
- Put charcoal in the top compartment of a large chimney.
- Moisten newspaper with vegetable oil. Wad up and place under charcoal compartment. Light and wait 15 minutes.
- Once coals have heated, spread out evenly in the bottom of the grill. Toss in mesquite chips.
- Grill steak over high 1 1/2 minutes. Twist 90° and cook for another 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and repeat 1 more time.
- Move steak to a cooler part of the grill and cook, turning often, until desired "doneness", 140° for medium rare, 155° for medium, 165° for toast.
- Remove and let rest for 7 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain on a bias. Serve warm.