Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Time||prep: 20 minutes|
baking: 60 minutes
This recipe produces gingerbread, not gingerbread cookies. Gingerbread is a type of spice cake. Parkin, a variation listed at the bottom, is partially oat-based.
- 110 g (4 oz) butter
- 110 g (4 oz) brown sugar
- 220 g (8 oz) golden syrup
- 220 g (8 oz) all-purpose flour
- 5 mL (1 level teaspoon) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 level teaspoon) mixed spice
- 10 mL (2 level teaspoon) ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 120 mL (4 fluid oz) milk
- Put the butter, sugar, and syrup in a pan. Heat gently until the butter melts.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour the melted butter mixture into the bowl, and beat thoroughly.
- Warm the milk in a pan (so it will dissolve the syrup).
- Add the milk to the bowl, and beat thoroughly.
- Beat the eggs, and then stir them in to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-inch (20cm) greased square cake tin.
- Cook at 170°C (325°F) for one hour.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove.
Leave at least 1 day before cutting into squares.