Cookbook:Fish and Chips
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Fish and Chips|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | British Cuisine | New Zealand
Fish and chips is a popular dish in England, New Zealand and Australia. The traditional fish in England is cod, though this is likely to fall apart or fail to cook in the middle.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
For the fish[edit | edit source]
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 125g (4oz) corn flour (cornstarch)
- Enough cold water to form a batter
- 4 cod/haddock/monkfish (or any other suitable flaky fish) fillets
For the chips[edit | edit source]
- 4 white potatoes, Maris Piper preferably
- 1 litre (1¾ pint) vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Sea salt
To serve[edit | edit source]
- 1 lemon, wedged
- Sprig of parsley, to garnish
- Sea salt
- Malt Vinegar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 180˚C/350˚F, or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds when added to the oil.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thick wedges. Deep-fry the potatoes in batches for 6-8 minutes or until they are crisp and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and keep warm.
- In a bowl, whisk together the plain flour, corn flour, salt and enough cold water to form a batter.
- Cut the fish into thick slices, then coat in the batter.
- Cook the fish in batches, in the hot oil for 5-6 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the fish and chips to serving plates and garnish with lemon wedges and sprig of parsley. Or for a fun, traditional twist place the fried fish and chips on brown paper or newsprint.
- Top with salt and/or vinegar. Typically the lemon wedges are squeezed over the fish and the vinegar is sprinkled on the chips.
- Also can be served with pickles, pickled onions, tartar sauce, pickled eggs, and mushy peas.
Safety[edit | edit source]
Fish and chips involves deep frying and can be dangerous and should only be performed with care. It is a leading cause of house fires in England, and further, may spill hot oil, causing severe burns.