Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- ½ cup (120g) shortening
- 1 cup (120g) flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (240g) sugar
- ⅓ cup (80g) cornstarch
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (480ml) scalded milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat water and shortening in saucepan until it boils up well.
- Add all at once flour sifted with salt and stir vigorously.
- Remove from heat as soon as mixed.
- Cool, and mix in unbeaten eggs, one at a time.
- Add baking powder; mix.
- Drop by spoonfuls 1½ inches (4cm) apart on greased tin, shaping into circular form with spoon but keeping mixture higher in center.
- Bake about 30 minutes in hot oven.
- Cut with sharp knife near base to admit filling.
- Mix dry ingredients (sugar, cornstarch and salt).
- Add slightly beaten egg.
- Stir into this gradually the scalded milk.
- Cook about 15 minutes in double boiler, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Cool slightly and add vanilla extract and whisk vigorously for creaminess.