Cookbook:Chocolate Pear Bake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Chocolate Pear Bake|
|Time||prep: 20 minutes|
baking: 35 minutes
A chocolate pear bake is a dessert that resembles a brownie in appearance, yet contains no flour, instead using whipped egg whites to provide structure. The pear adds a nice mild fruit tone to the chocolate.
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate, chopped or chips
- ½ cup (120g) butter or margarine
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (120g) sugar
- 2 pears, sliced
- lightly whipped cream, to serve
- Grease a 9x9 inch (22cm x 22cm) baking dish, and pre-heat the oven to 325°F (170°C).
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter or margarine. When melted, remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until they become thick and pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm.
- Combine the chocolate and egg yolk mixture, and mix well.
- Beginning with about ⅓ the egg whites, gently fold them into the chocolate/egg yolk mixture.
- Add the slices of pear, and stir once or twice. Add the entire mixture to the baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the bake is springy yet firm to the touch.
- Serve hot with whipped cream.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Substitute sliced peaches, apples, or orange segments for the pears.
- You are able to get all of these ingredients from your local grocery store.
- Overmixing after the egg whites have been added to the batter can result in the bake being too dense.