Cookbook:Chicken and Black-eyed Pea Stew
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This dish is a spicy chicken black-eyed pea stew or curry. It is a meal on its own.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup of dry black-eyed peas (or approx. 2 cups from a can)
- Oil / Fat
- 2-3 tbsp. (neutral tasting) vegetable oil or chicken fat (e.g. from previous soup)
- 1 cup of long corn rice, preferably brown rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock or broth; can use liquid from canned tomatoe (if using); alternatively water or vegetable stock
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (crushed or diced), or 1 pounds of fresh tomatoes, diced.
- 1 pound of chicken meat, e.g., two chicken legs including with the bones
- Final spices
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- If using dry black-eyed peas, wash, then cook for 20 minutes, until al dente. When done, drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare onions, carrots, celery, and sauté in oil or fat for 5 minutes.
- Add spices (garlic, ginger, salt, pepper) and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add rice to vegetable mix, stir in.
- Add stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked black-eyed peas.
- Add meat, cook a further 5 minutes, turn heat to low, let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- The meal is ready when the rice is soft.
- Then, add chili peppers and curry-lemon paste, cook for 10 more minutes. Serve.
Optional / Replacements[edit | edit source]
- This dish works well as a vegetarian dish. Just omit the chicken, and increase the amount of black-eye peas by 50%.