Cookbook:Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce (Holubtsi)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce (Holubtsi)|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 12 cabbage leaves
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 lb (about 500 g) ground beef
- ¾ cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
Sauce[edit | edit source]
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with ½ cup cold water
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Put cabbage into pot of boiling water, cover, let sit for three minutes, then drain.
- Combine ground beef, milk, egg, rice, onion, pepper, and salt. Divide into twelve portions.
- Place 1 meat portion on each cabbage leaf.
- Roll leaf around filling and fasten with toothpick.
- Place the rolls in a baking dish.
- Combine tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, water, and vinegar, then pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover baking dish, and bake at 350°F (175C) for 40 minutes.
- Remove cabbage rolls from pan, and take out toothpicks. Place on the serving dish
- Add cornstarch and water to sauce mixture and stir together. Warm, if needed, to allow the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Pour the completed sauce over the rolls on the serving dish.
- Garnish as desired and serve.