Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Category||American dessert recipes|
|Time||40 minutes + chilling time|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (200 g + 25 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 Tablespoons (15 g) cornstarch
- 14–20 vanilla wafers or ladyfingers
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 Tablespoon (10 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Custard[edit | edit source]
- In a saucepan, stir together the milk, 1 cup (200 g) of sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla extract and cook over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a separate container (a coffee mug will do), then whisk two tablespoons of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them so they don’t curdle.
- When the egg mixture is smooth, whisk it into the milk mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cold water to the cornstarch and stir until smooth; then whisk it into the milk mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove the custard from heat.
Meringue[edit | edit source]
- Whip the egg whites and 2 Tablespoons (25 g) sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
Assembly[edit | edit source]
- Cut the bananas into thin slices (about ¼ inch or 5 mm thick).
- In a large bowl with a flat bottom, place a layer of vanilla wafers or ladyfingers on the bottom.
- Pour half of the lemon juice and spread half of the custard over these, then layer half of the banana slices on top of the custard.
- Add another layer of cookies, the rest of the lemon juice, the rest of the custard, and the rest of the banana slices.
- Top with the meringue and sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- If you'd rather make the custard using a custard powder, that's fine, but you won't have leftover egg whites to make the meringue with. In this case, you can replace the meringue with whipped cream.