Cookbook:Banana Cream Pie II
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas, sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour or 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ea. 9-inch (23 cm) baked pastry shell
- Meringue made from the leftover egg whites (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- Add milk gradually.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until bubbly.
- Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes and remove from burner.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then immediately add egg yolk mixture to hot mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell.
- Top with pudding mixture and spread meringue (if desired) on top of the pie.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12–15 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Fresh whipped cream can be substituted for meringue after the pie is baked.