Cookbook:Apple Brown Betty
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Apple Brown Betty|
A Brown Betty is an American dessert of fruit and bread crumbs.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups apples, sliced (they don't need to be peeled)
- ¾ cup water
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sauté bread crumbs in butter.
- Add apples, cinnamon. sugar, and water.
- If the skillet is oven-proof, cover and place in the oven. If the skillet is not oven-proof, transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until apples are tender.
- If mixture becomes too dry during baking, add another ¼ cup of water. (Apples vary as to moisture content.)
Tips, Notes, and Variations[edit | edit source]
- Serve with milk or whipped cream.
- If cooking in a Dutch oven, preheat with 15 charcoal briquettes, ⅓ on the bottom, and ⅔ on the top.