Chess Opening Theory/1. e4/1...b6/2. d4/2...Bb7/3. Bd3
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Moves: 1.e4 b6 2. d4 Bb7 3. Bd3|
|ECO code: B00|
|Parent: King's Pawn Opening|
Owen's Defence[edit | edit source]
3. Bd3[edit | edit source]
Defending the e4 pawn. Black can now play:
- 3...Nf6, further pressuring e4.
- 3...Nc6 when 4.Nf3 is met with Nb4 getting the bishop pair, or if 4.c3 e5!?
- 3...e6, preparing to develop the kingside.
- 3...f5? threatens to take on g2 should white play exf5, trapping and winning the h1-rook, but this is a gross error: 4. exf5! Bxg2 5. Qh5+ g6 6. fxg6 Nf6?? 7. gxh7+! Nxh5 8. Bg6#.
- 6...Bg7 is better but still lost for Black after 7. Qf5! Nf6 8. Bh6 Bxh6 9. gxh7 Bxh1 10. Qg6+ Kf8 11. Qxh6+ Kf7 12. Nh3.
Theory table[edit | edit source]
1.e4 b6 2. d4 Bb7 3. Bd3
|Owen's Defence, Main Line||...
When contributing to this Wikibook, please follow the Conventions for organization.
References[edit | edit source]