- Living with our physical environment
- Facing changes in the human environment
development mutually exclusive?
- Confronting global challenges
- Elective modules
- Why do some regions have surplus food production whereas others are suffering from famine? What is “famine”? Where do most famines occur? What are the similarities found in regions frequently affected by famine?
- What are the factors that affect agricultural production in an area? How do these factors shape the characteristics of farming in an area?
- Where is Sahel? What are the characteristics of its natural environment? What are the agricultural characteristics of nomadic farming in Sahel?
- Where is Southern California? What are the characteristics of its natural environment? What are the agricultural characteristics of irrigation farming in Southern California? Why are agricultural characteristics so varied even in similar natural environmental settings? How true is it to say that human factors are becoming more and more dominant than physical factors in influencing agriculture?
- To what extent can technology help to increase agricultural production and alleviate food shortage? Is genetically modified food a possible way out? Have we really overcome most of the farming constraints imposed by the natural environment? What price do we have to pay for this “success”?
- Is it possible for us to minimise the negative impact of using technology in agriculture, and at the same time produce enough food for everyone?