Zereshk Palau is an Iranian rice dish cooked with barberries.
- 1 onion
- 1 package of dried barberries
- 1 tsp sugar
- a dash of salt
- cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cups basmati rice
- vegetable oil
- a few threads of saffron
- Soak barberries in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Chop onion and saute in oil.
- Strain barberries to remove any stones.
- Combine barberries with onion and cook on low heat.
- Cook chicken on top of rice in a rice cooker.
- When rice is done, fluff and put in a large bowl.
- Grind saffron with mortar and pestle.
- Add a teaspoon of water to ground saffron.
- Add some rice to the saffron water and stir.
- Return yellow rice to the main dish and add the onion and zereshk mixture.
- Fluff ingredients to mix well.
- Serve with Lavash or barbari bread.