|Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | North America
| Irish cuisine
| Breakfast cuisine
| vegetarian cuisine
Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 325°F, 165°C, gasmark 3.
- Use cooking spray or grease and then lightly flour a 9x5x3 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Form a cavity in the middle.
- Pour in the buttermilk.
- Mix until just moistened. Too much mixing will make it tough.
- Gently shape the dough to fit pan.
- Cut the top at least three times with a knife.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Wrap in tea-towel or foil several hours or overnight for best flavor.
Tips, Notes, and Variations[edit | edit source]
- If you're in a hurry, bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Buttermilk could be substituted with a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in milk.
- "Baker's Secret" is a brand of cooking spray that includes the flour.