From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 2½ cups (approx 625 ml) warm water
- 1 packet dry (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
- 1 oz (30 g) sugar or honey
- 2 lb (1 kg) flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Put half of the water into a container, add yeast and either sugar or honey.
- Take another container and put in 2 pounds(1 kg) of flour. Form a crater in the middle into which you can pour the water with the yeast. Add a pinch of salt. Knead it and keep adding water until the dough has a good thick consistency.
- Place the dough on a surface and let it stand for about 1 hour. Knead again to let the air out and knead it into the shape of a bread. Let it stand for another 45 minutes.
- Bake in an oven at 375°F (200 °C) for 50-60 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 200°F(95 °C).
- Now you have a nice, tasty loaf of bread.
If your bread seems crumbly or not sufficiently soft and bouncy, try using high gluten flour. You can get special bread making flour which is higher in gluten than normal flour.