Cookbook:Wakeup Sausage Casserole
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Wakeup Sausage Casserole|
|Time||prep 30 minutes (while oven preheating)
cook 45 minutes
1½ hours total
- 2 cups (8-ounce package) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, tops only, sliced
- 24 ounces evaporated milk (or substitute 3 cups of milk)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 8 cups (8 to 10 slices) ½ inch cubed French or Italian bread - ideally a day old or a little stiff
- Preheat oven to .
- (Cook, drain, and crumble sausage.)
- Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Place bread cubes in the pan evenly.
- Combine eggs, garlic powder, green onion tops, evaporated milk, onion powder, and mustard.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Crumble sausage over the mixture evenly.
- Add cheese and peppers, if desired, over the top.
- If preparing ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Serve warm.
- It may be better to use 10 eggs and 2.5 cups of milk, depending on the consistency you want out of the dish.