Cookbook:Tuscan Soup (Meatless)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Tuscan Soup (Meatless)|
(Meatless) Tuscan Soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15- to 16-ounce) can kidney beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅔ cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- In a 2-quart saucepan, sauté onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender.
- Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add escarole or spinach and heat through.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Vegetarian: May substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.