Cookbook:Sunglow Motel-Cafe Pickle Pie
The Sunglow Motel-Cafe in Bicknell, Utah serves the unique Pickle Pie, developed by Cula Ekker.
This is their recipe, as it appeared in a Salt Lake Tribune article that is framed and hangs on the cafe's wall.
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. light cream
- 1/8 cup margarine, melted
- 12 oz. sweet pickles, drained and ground
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- Beat eggs and sugar until lemon colored and thick; beat in cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon extract, cornstarch, cream and margarine.
- Stir ground sweet pickles into mixture.
- Pour pickle mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour to one hour and 15 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes two pies.
Note: Although the recipe says to bake for one hour to one hour and 15 minutes, I'd suggest checking it earlier (perhaps at 45 minutes) just to be safe, because when I tested it at one hour the pies I made were already clearly past done. -- RTC 15:22 Nov 14, 2002 (UTC)
Note: I found by accident that increasing the pickles from 12 oz. to about 17 oz. introduces a distinct "fruity" flavor that the original recipe does not have. Both versions are very good, in my opinion! -- RTC 19:04 Nov 17, 2002 (UTC)