Jump to navigation Jump to search
This recipe is adapted from the public domain cookbook Boston Cooking-School Cook Book.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Base[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups (275 g / 9.7 oz) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ cup (185 ml / 6.3 oz) milk
- ¼ cup (½ stick/60 g/2.1 oz) butter
Topping[edit | edit source]
- 200 g (7.1 oz) strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup (225 g/7.9 oz) buttercream
- 1 cup (250 ml/8.5 US fl oz) whipping cream, whipped with a little sugar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (392 °F). Grease and line a baking sheet.
- Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add milk gradually to the mixture, mixing to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured board, and divide in two parts.
- Pat each part to flatten slightly, then roll out into a circle and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Take the cakes out of the oven and leave them to cool completely.
- Split each cake in half horizontally, and spread each layer with buttercream.
- Sweeten strawberries to taste with sugar, then heat in a pan until warmed.
- Remove strawberries from the heat, and crush them slightly.
- Layer the berries between the cakes, and spread some on the top layer.
- Cover the top with whipped cream.