Cookbook:Steak, Bacon, and Arugula Salad
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 2 cups arugula (rocket)
- 2 (6-8 ounce) beef ribeye steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup minus 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 5 rashers bacon, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and crisp-cooked
- 2 tbs rendered bacon fat
- Brush steaks with 1 tbs olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill over very high heat 1 minute. Twist 90 degrees, cook for another 1 minute, then flip and repeat 1 more time.
- Move to medium heat and cook, turning often, until desired "doneness" is achieved. (145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium, and 170°F for toast)
- Refrigerate steaks until chilled.
- Combine remaining oil and bacon fat. In another bowl, combine mustard and vinegar. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking continuously.
- Slice steaks thinly across the grain at a 45 degree angle. Toss together remaining ingredients and dressing in your serving bowl and refrigerate until chilled. Serve cold.