Cookbook:Spicy Roast Brisket
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This dish is a spicy beef brisket roast. It may be served with mashed potatoes.
- 1 kg / 2 pound piece of (beef brisket). If using a larger piece, adjust other quantities accordingly.
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 cups (or more) boiling water
- Heat oil in large heavy pot, and brown brisket from all sides.
- Push meat to the side. At medium heat, cook onions and celery until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, peppercorns, mustard, oregano, salt and stir in.
- Add tomatoes, beef stock, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves.
- May add the tomato juice. Add 1 cup of boiling water, cover pot and cook for 2 hours on low.
- Inspect regularly to make sure there is enough liquid, adding water if necessary.
- 30 minuted before serving, add bell and (optional) chili pepper.
- While cooking, do not add cold liquid to the meat, and make sure to pour not the cold tomatoes on top of the meat. Otherwise, the meat can become hard.