Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | North American Cuisines
Rich brownies are cake-like but are denser and not springy or gooey.
- Heat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Melt chocolate and margarine in a double boiler, or (carefully) in a saucepan on low heat while stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Excluding the nuts, mix the dry ingredients with each other, and then into the wet mixture.
- Mix in the nuts.
- Spread into a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan, or into two 8-inch by 8-inch baking pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan.
Notes, tips, and variations
- This works well with 3 Tablespoons of oil in place of the solid fat. When using lard, ⅓ cup should be about right.
- Unlike other brownie recipes which use cocoa powder and fill one small pan, this recipe uses baking chocolate and fills two small pans or one large one.