Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of Turkey
|Pudding with Pistachios and Rose Water (Muhallebi)
Muhallebi, (also Muhallabia, Mihallabiya) is a milk pudding thickened with rice flour and optionally perfumed with rosewater or orange flower water.
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup rose water or orange flower water (optional)
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- Mix the milk and sugar in a large saucepan and heating slowly, so as not to burn the milk, bring to a simmer.
- Make a slurry by dissolving the rice flour and cornstarch in the water and, stirring constantly, slowly add this mixture to the simmering milk.
- Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened sufficiently to coat a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the rose water or orange flower water.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and refrigerate until chilled and set.
- Cut into pieces about 4 inches square.
- Place the squares on individual dessert plates and garnish with the chopped pistachios.
- ↑ If you don't have rice flour, cornstarch may be substituted.