Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Bread
These are soft pretzels.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 package yeast (¼ oz active dry yeast, 2¼ tsp dry yeast, or one 0.6 oz yeast cake)
- 1½ cups warm water
- Egg white (or beaten whole egg)
- Coarse salt (margarita or kosher salt)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Mix in the salt, sugar, and flour.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Roll out (do not cut) a blob of dough until it is about 18 inches long.
- If a traditional shape is desired: Make a loop with the middle of the dough, crossing the dough over itself at about the 15% and 85% areas. Give this contact point a 180° twist, then flip it (and the ends) over toward the middle of the dough piece so that the ends overlap the more-central part at about the 45% and 55% areas.
- Brush the pretzel with egg.
- Sprinkle coarse salt onto the egg.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.