Cookbook:Potato and Chicken Stew (Ajiaco)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Potato and Chicken Stew (Ajiaco)|
|Time||Cook 1.5 hours|
Ajiaco is a quintessential dish from Bogotá, Colombia.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Soup:[edit | edit source]
- 1 whole skin-on bone-in chicken breast (approximately 750g)
- 1 l chicken broth
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 scallions (white part and first 2 cm of green)
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ml dried thyme
- 2 ml ground cumin
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 ml tomato paste
- .5 kg small yellow potatoes. peeled
- .5 kg small purple potatoes. peeled
- .5 kg mashing potatoes, peeled and sliced 2 cm thickness
- 1 l water
- 2 ml of beef bullion granules
- .25 ml of frozen peas
Garnishes:[edit | edit source]
- 4 ears of corn, quartered lengthwise and cooked
- 10 ml of whipping cream mixed with 10 ml of créme fraíche
- 2 ripe but firm Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into eight slices right before serving
- 10 ml of finely chopped cilantro
- 5 - 10 ml of pickled capers
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine chicken, broth, onions, scallions, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, cumin, cilantro and peppercorns in large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Skim off froth as it rises. Reduce heat to low and cover when frothing finishes.
- Remove and reserve chicken after it is cooked through (approximately 20 minutes).
- Strain broth through sieve and return to pot, boil again over medium heat. Reserve carrots.
- Add tomato paste and yellow and purple potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes are soft (approximately 20 minutes).
- While yellow and purple potatoes are cooking, boil sliced mashing potatoes in water and beef bullion in separate pot. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat until potatoes start to fall apart (approximately 30 minutes).
- Drain and reserve a quarter of the slices and mash the rest of the sliced potatoes. Add mashed and sliced potatoes to soup.
- Remove bones and skin from chicken and discard. Cut chicken into strips 1 cm wide and 3 cm long.
- Add chicken and peas to soup and simmer for 5 minutes. Slice the carrots into .5 cm thick rounds and add back into soup. Salt to taste.
- Serve hot with garnishes available.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- If soup is too thick add boiling water in small amounts; the consistency should be like that of heavy cream. Soup will thicken as it cools.