Cookbook:Passover Carrot Almond Cake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Passover Carrot Almond Cake|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
This carrot almond cake is kosher for Passover since it uses matzo meal instead of wheat flour.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- Matzo cake meal (for pan)
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup finely grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup toasted almonds, finely grated
- 3 Tablespoons fine-ground matzo meal
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom of an 8" springform pan, and lightly dust with almond meal.
- Whip egg yolks and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and light (about 5 minutes). A slowly-dissolving ribbon should form when the beaters are lifted.
- Stir in carrots and vanilla.
- Clean and dry the beater. Whip the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until the egg whites make firm peaks.
- Gently fold the whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Combine the almonds, matzo meal, and cinnamon. Fold gently into the egg mixture.
- Turn the batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until tester comes out clean (about 1 hour).
- Immediately run a knife around the edges, then leave to cool in the pan on a rack.
- Remove from the springform pan.