Cookbook:Passover Carrot Almond Cake
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 12 servings
- matzo cake meal, (for pan)
- 4 eggs separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup toasted almonds finely grated
- 3 Tablespoon matzo meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease the bottom of an 8" springform pan
- Lightly dust with almond meal.
- Beat egg yolks and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until a slowly dissolving ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in carrots and vanilla.
- Clean and dry the beater
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until the egg whites are form peaks.
- Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Combine the almonds, 3 tablespoons of cake meal and the cinnamon.
- Fold gently into the egg mixture.
- Turn into prepared pan smoothing the top.
- Bake until tester comes out clean (about 1 hour)
- Immediately run a knife around the edges.
- Leave to cool in the pan on a rack.
- Remove from the springform pan.