Cookbook:Neapolitan Anchovy Sauce
|Neapolitan Anchovy Sauce|
|Time||5 - 8 minutes|
A delicious, creamy sauce, perfect for meat or vegetables.
- 3 Anchovies
- 1 teaspoon fennel, chopped
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 clove garlic, split
- A pinch of lemon juice
- A pinch of vinegar
- 1/2 gill cream, boiled
- Bones of one fish
- Wash anchovies in vinegar, bone and pound using a mortar and pestle with fennel and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Mix in parsley and marjoram, a squeeze of lemon juice, flour, cream, and the bones of the fish for which you will use this sauce.
- Pass through a sieve, add garlic, and boil.
Tips, tricks, and variations
If the fish you are using is cooked in the oven, add a little of the liquor in which it has been cooked to the sauce. Take out the garlic before serving. Instead of anchovies you may use caviar, pickled tunny, or any other pickled fish.
This page incorporates text from the public domain cookbook The Cook's Decameron: A Study In Taste, Containing Over Two Hundred Recipes For Italian Dishes.