From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Crosby's Molasses Taffy
- 1/2 cup fancy molasses
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- Place molasses, sugar, vinegar and water in a heavy saucepan and cook until a small amount tried in cold water is brittle (300-310°F or 150°C).
- Remove from heat and add butter, cream of tartar and baking soda.
- Pour into buttered pan or onto marble surface.
- When cool enough to handle, pull until light in color. Butter the hands before pulling. Twist.
- Cut into one-inch pieces; wrap in squares of waxed paper.