Cookbook:Mishkaki (East African Meat Skewers)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Mishkaki (East African Meat Skewers)|
|Time||Prep: 15 minutes|
Cooking: 30 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 50 ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Beef sirloin steak, in 1-inch cubes
- 80 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
Special equipment[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, water, thyme, spices, ginger paste, and garlic paste to make a marinade.
- Add the meat and toss well, then transfer everything to a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 24–48 hours.
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator, and give it at least an hour to come to room temperature.
- Thread the meat on the skewers.
- Preheat a charcoal grill for some time.
- Grease the grill grate, and place the skewers on the grate. Cook until medium-done (internal temperature of 65°C / 145°F).
- Serve hot with fresh coriander.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- If you would like to use wood skewers, soak them in water for an hour before using. This prevents them from burning.
- You could also broil the skewers in the oven instead of grilling.