Cookbook:Malvani Chicken Curry
|Malvani Chicken Curry|
Kombdi Vade is a Malvani dish, which is quite popular in Maharashtra. The dish consists of the traditional Malvani chicken curry (including chicken pieces with bones), vade (also known as puri, which is a fluffy, fried bread of wheat and nachni flour), onion, lemon and solkadhi (a drink made from coconut milk).
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 800 g (1.8 lb) or 8 medium sized pieces of chicken
- 1 coconut grated
- 4 onions chopped
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 2 tsps Malvani Special Masala
- 8 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbs ginger paste
- 2 tbs garlic paste
- 2 tbs oil
- salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Grind half of the green chillies to a paste and mix it well with the ginger and garlic pastes.
- Make cuts on the chicken pieces, rub this mixture on to them well and marinate for about an hour at least.
- Roast coconut shavings in a little hot oil till light brown. Cool and grind along with half the onions to a paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and sauté the onions on medium level for about 2 minute(s) or till they are light brown in color.
- Add the remaining chopped green chillies, spice powders and fry for a few seconds. Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry on medium level for about 3 minutes or till they are lightly browned.
- Add the paste, salt and mix well. Add water according to the desired level of consistency and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low level for about 25 minute(s) or till the chicken pieces are tender and fully cooked.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
If it is difficult to obtain fresh coconut, it can be replaced by desiccated coconut shavings. For this recipe, there is no need to soak it in warm water. Roast it directly.