Cookbook:Lentil Potato Stew (Vegan)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes This creates a healthy, inexpensive and easy stew with depths of flavor. This recipe is fairly low on the heat scale, but feel free to add more cayenne pepper to up its spiciness.
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Tablespoon margarine
- Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- In a large pot, combine and cook water, lentils, salt and bay leaf. Remove bay leaf.
- In a large frying pan, combine cubed potatoes, turmeric, cayenne pepper and olive oil and fry for 5-10 minutes.
- Add to the pot with the lentils, and then combine all ingredients and cook until the potatoes are soft and tender. Excellent served with chapatis or rice.