Cookbook:Lentil, Potato, and Tomato Curry
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes This creates a healthy, inexpensive and easy stew with depths of flavor. This recipe is fairly low on the heat scale, but feel free to add more cayenne pepper to up its spiciness.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon margarine
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a large pot, combine and cook water, lentils, salt and bay leaf.
- In a large frying pan, combine cubed potatoes, turmeric, cayenne pepper and olive oil and fry for 5-10 minutes.
- Add to the pot with the lentils, and then combine all ingredients and cook until the potatoes are soft and tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Excellent served with chapatis or rice.