Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kifli Crescents are Hungarian pastries.
- 1/4 cup milk (warmed)
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 lb. butter (1 cup)
- pinch salt
- 3-1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mix together milk, yeast and 1tsp sugar and set aside. Ensure it does not clump.
- Using a pastry knife, Mix flour, butter, salt in a bowl.
- Add 3-1/2 tbsp sugar and baking powder to the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix 3 egg yolks. Add the yeast mixture. Then add sour cream and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Should have the consistency of peanut butter cookie dough. Add flour if sticky. Knead well and let stand 2 hours in a warm place. To allow the dough to rise, we place the bowl with the dough (covered with a tea towel) onto the top rack of our oven and place a bowl of hot water on the lower rack. Leave the oven off and it will gently warm and allow the dough to rise.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal sized balls. Sprinkle sugar on a board, put a dough ball on the board, and roll out into a circle about 12 inches across. Flip the dough over and put more sugar on the board. Cut like a pizza into wedges about 1-1/2 inches at widest. Put filling on each wedge (about 1 tsp each) and roll in sugar. Bake on a cookie sheet at 325 F for 15 min until golden brown.
- filling can be walnut filling, jam, etc.
This recipe makes 60-80 Kifli.
Vanilla Kifli is the traditional Hungarian holiday cookie.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Cream together the butter with the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour.
- Turn into a ball, cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To form the crescents, roll about 1 Tbsp of the dough in the palms of your hands. Then continue rolling to form a rope about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Bend rope to form crescent. Repeat with remaining dough, placing on ungreased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be white in color. Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes to prevent breaking. Then, while cookies are still warm, carefully roll in vanilla sugar. (May be found in bulk food stores). Repeat with remaining cookies. Cool cookies completely.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler set over low heat. When cookies are cool, dip tips of each cookie in melted chocolate, then set on waxed paper to dry.