||5-7 minutes per batch
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | American cuisine | Southern U.S. cuisine | Vegetarian Cuisine | Bread
- Pour oil 3 to 4 inches (7.5 cm to 10 cm) in pan and preheat to 370°F (~190°C).
- In bowl mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne.
- In same bowl or in other mix eggs, green onions, milk and ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- If in separate bowl mix two bowls together.
- Spoon 6 or 7 tablespoons of the batter into preheated oil.
- Fry, stirring constantly for over all browning, until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- ⅓ cup minced green onions may be substituted for fresh onions.
- Add 6 oz. (170 g) of pimento cheese to the batter.