Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 10 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) hazelnut meal
- 250ml (8 fluid oz) cream
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee powder
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- Pre-heat oven to Very Hot.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer till stiff. During mixing, add caster sugar in small amounts to make sure it dissolves into egg.
- Once mixture forms stiff peaks, gently fold in the hazelnut meal.
- Line a lamington or slice tray (approximately 40cm X 25cm) with foil. Spread mix evenly into tray. Do not bang the tray - it is important to keep as much air in the cake as possible.
- Once cake is in oven, immediately turn temperature down to 180°C (350°F). Bake for 20 minutes, or until cake is sealed and springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- Allow cake to cool in the tray. Cake should only be about an inch high.
- Once cooled, cut cake into 3 equal sections to be stacked on top of each other.
- In a bowl, dissolve coffee and cocoa into cream. Once dissolved, whip cream until stiff.
- Layer cream between the sections of cake to make a log. Decorate top with extra cream.
Notes, tips and variations
- Cake is best made the day before serving to allow the flavors to mature.