Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 10 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 200 g (7 oz) hazelnut meal
- 250 ml (8 fluid oz) cream
- ½ tsp instant coffee powder
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to very hot—about 230˚C (450˚F).
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer to soft peaks. While whipping, very gradually add the caster sugar, and continue whipping to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold hazelnut meal into the beaten egg whites.
- Line a 40 x 25 cm (16 x 10 inch) baking pan with foil. Spread mixture evenly into tray. Do not bang the tray—it is important to keep as much air in the cake as possible.
- Once cake is in oven, immediately turn temperature down to 180°C (350°F). Bake for 20 minutes, or until cake is sealed and springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- Allow cake to cool in the tray. Cake should only be about an inch high.
- Once cooled, cut cake into 3 equal sections to be stacked on top of each other.
- In a bowl, dissolve coffee and cocoa into cream. Once dissolved, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Layer cream between the sections of cake to make a log. Decorate top with extra cream.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Cake is best made the day before serving to allow the flavors to mature.